The thing is almost finish, it still misses some components though. The good new is :
I need a good camera but I hope we can still see what’s going on…
I’ve been asked to do something about an old Rolls MP80 midi switcher. The idea is to send midi note off/on to trigger samples into Ableton (which allows midi assignations).
It appears that everything was done with digital logic (no microcontrollers).
The fact that the board can be removed made the design of a new pcb doable and cheap. The new PCB is smaller and with less components. The new board will microcontroller powered, it’ll be easier to modify the code and reprogram the thing to do many other midi related thing with it.
I’m about to order a batch of pcb for the wintermute project. I found very refreshing to work on things that don’t need CV, bipolar power supply, and writting code.
I’ve ideas for offering somekind of Workshop in the blackhole of a city I’m living in. I think that kind of noise thing is a great canditate for initiating poeple to electronics that make sound.
I’ll certainly have more PCBs that I really need, the remaining ones would be for sale, let me know if you’re interested.
Note that for simplicity reasons, the PCB version won’t have the piezzo. The idea of the pcb is to contain everything in a small format (keep price low).
The noise is done and showing off. Here some samples of it :
Although I had doubts about the all thing, now I consider it as a very nice explorary tool. The on-board delay could also be a nice feature to fatten up the sound (a small PT2399 could be cheap enough).
THEY DID IT…
This is a project which is more about noise and experimental stuff. If Merzbow is music to your ears, this can be of interest to you.
That project was inspried by the BugBrand Weevil and its many variations. I wanted to make something easy to build, not kill too many brain cells in the process, and get something that could be used as experimental “sound toy”.
I liked the idea of touch plate as short-circuit with the skin playing somekind of resistor to include oneself into the circuit. I kept the idea and used coins (soldering to them wasn’t that bad actually…). It also includes a piezzo glued to the back where you can hit the surface (where the weird shape is located on the front)
I’ve no hope for the speaker to sound good, mediocre at best. But this makes it portable and maybe more appealing.
The case is an enlarged version of the Mutable instrument shruthi case made of MDF. It isn’t pretty but plexi is to fragile for the application and not sure if it will be melting with the glue gun to put the coins on. Maybe real wood could make of it a nicer looking object, oiled with a bit of “true oil”. Other than that, No issue at all, That’s the beauty of SVG files.
I’m waiting for potentiometers to arrive and finish it. I’m currently tweaking the circuit. It is a noise box, but it doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t take care of details.
Once everything’s done, the schematic and case will be published. I’ll record some sounds as well.
electrictonemusic is finally having its own website instead of a blog. If you want to have a look, I’ve still some synthi biscuit module for sale.
I’m about to build a circuit analogous to the make noise pressure points. However, it’ll lack the “pressure” sensitivity.
I also decided to give a try to LT spice from Linear technology. An interesting software that may have caused some troubles at some companies.
I simulated the “touch” input of the circuit.The circuit has been simulated few weeks ago and worked well. The debouncing is always an issue even with greasy skin.
Although I couln’t find a model for noise or noisy logical signal, I used a series of pulse to simulate the noisy input. simulation is spot on.
However I think, like the bearded man, I won’t rely exclusively on simulation and I’d build partially the circuit on breadboard. the LT spice solution can be a way to validate a concept before going into the pain and suffering of the breadboard phase (I hate those !).
I’ve just finished “wintermute” (that its code name). It has been a long work. Full of wires and dead braincells (for a good cause).
One of the goal was to keep the design simple and cheap (very cheap!). Which I find being a great challenge. Having constrains is so much more interesting to work with ! (and I hate expensive and hard to get components)
The current microcontroller is the trusty atmega 328p however the next prototype will certainly be equiped with an ARM stm32f030xx. Its price being its only adavantage over the 328 as the processor has not much to do (switching, DAC update and midi reception). Although we’re thinking about adding more digital audio stuff.
The ARM stm32f030k6 is a powerful little device with multiplexed pin for peripherals. However, a bit more complicated that the regular 8bit micro in terms of setting up registers. Also, it doesn’t come in PDIP package, the only “easy” manageable package is the LQP32 that one can solder on an adaptor (which I did)
here a short sample made exclusively with Wintermute, in one take and no reverb (as I’ve been asked about it). Although that kind of stuff isn’t its primary goal.